February 2019

February will feature a one-person exhibit by Robert Cochran.

ArtHop reception: Thursday, February 7, 2019, 5:00-8:00pm

Robert C. Cochran “Nihil Sanctum”

Robert C Cochran "Fallen"
Robert C Cochran - Fallen

Artist Statement:

Nihil Sanctum, my first one-man show at Spectrum since my Hourglass exhibit in 2015 features new works from ongoing projects previously introduced as well as several new concepts I am debuting with this show. New projects are dominated by stylistic experiments in digital imaging which attempt to simulate traditional photographic processes or affects of time and technique characteristic of Renaissance artworks. The common threads weaving the show together will be the nude female form, both in the digitally constructed works and stand- alone imagery and my narrative style of composition. Through the combination of these elements of technique and content I attempt to push the genres forward, infusing the aforementioned classic, timeless subject matter into conceptual contexts reflecting more contemporary scenarios, sometimes in contradiction to or atypical of the respective era with which they are traditionally associated.

Robert C Cochran - Floral Fixation
Robert C Cochran - Floral Fixation

In sympathy with my artistic efforts I spend countless hours doing research into an ever-widening range of disciplines to provide my unconscious mind with a continual source of raw material. Allowing all of these disparate streams of consciousness time to filter through the cold press of my imagination I find the end result to be new and expansive directions into which to focus my creative energies. Nihil Sanctum is the most recent culmination of these intellectual pursuits. Nothing’s sacred, neither art, science, tradition nor religion in my continuing effort to expand narratives, deconstruct icons, celebrate the intrinsic beauty of the nude female form and finally to uncover new layers of intuition that speak to some naked truth. I leave it to the works to speak for themselves.